Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Stopping to smell a cliché

Berthe Morisot, Child in a rose garden
Gabie got home from school today and I made him put his shoes right back on so we could go for a walk. Nora was grouchy because she woke up early this morning. I was grouchy because Nora woke up early this morning. We both needed to get out of the house. Gabie did not want to go for the walk. He said he had already been out of the house and was ready to spend some time in it for a change. He also said, and I quote: “I have been dealing with so many things today. I don’t have time for a walk.” He parked his bum on the steps and refused to go and I finally had to threaten him with a timeout if he didn’t cooperate. I promised we’d take a short walk around the block.

He pouted for the first few houses and then remembered that there was a rosebush on the corner. He ran ahead because he loves the smell of roses. The bush was empty. I thought he might get upset and lose all desire to live (or continue walking), so I quickly suggested that there were probably other rosebushes around the next corner. It became a quest from then on. He raced from one house to the next, scanning for roses and sniffing any within his reach—all the while maintaining a running commentary on their particular fragrances (some were “out of nectar” already and thus scored low on the olfactory report).

He insisted we take the long, windy route through several neighborhoods in search of more roses. He announced that today was Rose Day, that we lived in Rose Country, and that one particular street (where there appeared to be a green thumb living in every house) was Rose Heaven. He even told me a great joke: “Why did the Gabie cross the road? To get to the rosebush on the other side.” (He told several others but this was the only one I understood. Five year-old humor is way over my head.)

Nora, by the way, sniffed a few flowers as well. Or I should say she projected baby snot on them since she has not yet mastered the distinction between inhaling and exhaling.

So Gabie reminded me today how important it is to stop and smell the roses, which is just about the oldest cliché in the book. But just because something is a cliché doesn’t mean it can’t still be true.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great how you took the time to go for the walk....even though I know you had a jillion other things to do. How sweet that your son enjoyed the trip once it got started.

You have inspired me to take the time, especially with this beautiful weather we had today to go out tomorrow and to just enjoy being outside, even for a little bit.....and do it with my kiddos as well!

Jenna said...

Lovely post! I resisted moving to southern Cali, but the one thing that has helped soften my heart has been all the roses, actually! I've never seen so many roses, and they bloom for so long here!

Jennifer B. said...

I love your conclusion. Wonderful post.

Ice Cream said...

Cliches are only lame when people say them and don't actually do them. You actually smelled the roses and that makes all the difference. You turned a cliche into a little bit of wonderful.

Dedee said...

I love roses and I'm glad to be reminded to smell them. A florist brought some by yesterday for my neighborhod and I loved having them until she came home. Every time I walked past I could whiff it and I was bummed I had to give them to her.

Unknown said...

“I have been dealing with so many things today. I don’t have time for a walk.” -- now that's funny.

And thanks for the reminder to stop and smell the roses.

Geo said...

It works the same for me—if I can just push past my own stupid resistance, then I'm running for the roses too. Great post.